Saturday 19 May 2012

Hard hitting facts #1: Hit it like a girl- lack of free equipment for female pro golfers

The majority of female pro golfers in Europe don't receive free of charge equipment from the club manufacturers.  They might sneak a few "hand me downs" from the reps, but they are not contracted to play a particular brand.   I'm a very fortunate exception because I'm with Callaway. So, why the reluctance to supply free stock?  I'd always assumed that manufacturers didn't support women in the same way as their male counterparts because women don't play "womens'" spec clubs. So, I guess it means that you can't really show photos advertising us swinging away with the latest women's range because we can't use those clubs. In the same way, if your average male club golfer saw a female pro advertising the latest Ping driver would he be likely to go out and buy it? Probably not.  Someone mentioned that only 3 women on the Ladies European Tour actually get paid to play manufacturers' equipment. I don't know factually if that's true.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it is.  I don't want to sound like I'm tarring all the equipment manufacturers with the same brush- some are more generous than others.  We might not realistically feature in promo campaigns for equipment, but in golf as a whole, not just women's golf, we are the "coolest kids", influencing a lot of people to go out and try, get fitted and buy the equipment we recommend.  Experential marketing personified. Callaway get it. Wish more manufacturers did.


No comments:

Post a Comment